Thundercats Hooo!!!

Random Thoughts...Mainly about bowling.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Very interesting Convo this morning

Caught part of the Barbara Walters deal on heaven last night. The title was Heaven, where is it, how do I get there? Had a variety of perspectives from Atheists to devout Buddhists. One of the most interesting things was the discussion of near death experiences. We have all heard the white light stories, but I was unaware of the scientific perspective. One theory is that these experiences are essentially hallucinations, because as the brain is dieing neurons fire at a rapid rate. This makes sense to me as I solved all the worlds problems in Amsterdam. Just wish I could remember what it was.

That led to this mornings cubicle chat about religion. It was between an atheist a devout protestant, and myself. Here is what I currently believe about religion. I wish I believed in heaven. It is a lot more comforting than simply being worm and tree food. But as a man of science and exploration I see no proof, and refuse to be deceived by stories. I believe that being kind, compassionate and giving is essential to happiness. My goal is to live the most peaceful and happy life, while still being proactive in fighting against injustice and evil. My goal is also to make peace with the path I have chosen, avoid becoming jaded, not become corrupted, and take in all the wonder and beauty life has to offer.

These are no easy tasks. How does one soak in beauty and wonder and be aware and proactive in reference to evil. I think I am going to attempt to smile while speaking against the current regime in this country.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pax Romano said...

Joey,
I've been thinking about that discussion all day. I love our devout religious person; but I am with you on this. I want to believe, but forty-some years here on planet earth have shown me little to believe in other than the randomness of life.

We do our best and we strive to be decent humans, no allegiance to an imaginary man on a cloud is going to change anything (IMHO).

And if I am wrong, well, we will all be in good company in hades!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joey: Too bad you don't believe in an afterlife cause it believes in you. Last week, I was sitting in my kitchen reading the paper when a man slapped his hand down on my right shoulder for about two minutes. Thing is...there was no one there. This shit happens to me all the time. I don't get creepy opening doors or sppooky voices, but only stuff that shows me there is a person in the room. A few years ago, I was trying to play the guitar and your grandfather Petersen's (the Danish Italian side of the family) presence materialized over my right shoulder. I knew it was him, and I knew he was happy I was trying to play the darn thing even though he never played it in his life, but I hadn't been thinking about him or looking at a picture or nuttin. Bing badda boom, it just came thru. Your Grandmother Nebbeker (the Dutch Italian side of the family ) used to have precognitive dreams about births and deaths. She knew when they happened thousands of miles away from the family. You Aunt Roxie (The French Italian side of the Family) thinks of her friends and the phone rings with them on the line. Just because science comes up with an explaination, doesn't mean it's the correct one. They thought the big bang had come and gone and the expansion of the universe was slowing down. Now they tell us that the universe is still expanding and the further out it gets, the faster it is going.
Your family has the unnerving habit of being psychic and connected into the paranormal and science hasn't come up with a real explanation for it, yet. Keep on being a good person and enjoying life. That's what you're here for. Just remember that when you are through at "school" you have to come "home". I will be waiting for you with milk and cookies.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheeze, what a dingbat your aunt
Roxie is! She is starting to sound
more like your great grandma Vonda
all the time. Boy, is she going to
be surprised when she wakes up and
finds out she's just plain dead. :)

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home