Thundercats Hooo!!!

Random Thoughts...Mainly about bowling.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

January 28, 1986

I just caught the tail end of a CNN Presents program about Christa McAuliffe. I living in Louden, NH at the time, my mother and my stepfather worked at project second start. I went to kindergarten with her daughter Caroline and we became friends. While I was only 6 years old, I do remember random things like jumping on the bed with Caroline and her brother Scott, and playing hide and go seek. My mother tells many stories about Christa, about what a wonderful person she was. She says that one time, when I was little she caught Caroline and I under the covers in bed, and another time, how she changed my diaper when I got crap all up my back on the way to see a play.

I learned quite a bit from this program. I learned that she was selected from 12,000 applicants to represent the Teacher in Space Program. I learned that there are now currently 40 schools that are named after her. I learned that her plan was to teach two lessons from space, and have them bounced to class in Concord via satellite. I learned that NASA officials messed up, and launched the Challenger without proper safety conditions after 6 previous attempts.

I recall sitting in class watching the shuttle take off along with my class mates. I remember when it exploded and the teachers were shocked, and the children confused. I remember days latter asking my mother "where do the body parts go."

But I realized after waching this special that Christa was a revolutionary and a martyr. It spoke of her openly discussing having gay friends in class, something that wasn't done in the mid eighties. She did more in death than in life to draw attention to the need for improved education in schools. Today there are numerous grants and college scholarships set up in her name.

In reflecting on the upcoming 20th anniversary of the Challenger tragedy, I thing it is most appropriate to take a look at the current state of public education. Would Christa be proud? Or would she be dismayed that nearly every major city in this country still has a 50% drop out rate. Lets hope that her legacy continues to shed light on the need for money and resources going to schools not just wars. As the old saying goes, perhaps it is time for the military in the U.S. to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pax Romano said...

For some reason, I recall all of this on the radio...I was driving somewhere and they interrupted and told of the tragedy.

How great is it, that your family and you knew Christa and her family?

7:01 AM  
Blogger Elliott said...

It is great. I feel lucky to have known such a progressive woman.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home